It’s 9:30pm on Halloween night. Most of the knocking and doorbell ringing has stopped. We’re cozied up at home, filling out our ballots for Tuesday’s election. As the night comes to a close, I thought I’d offer my reflections on the evening.
Things I loved about Halloween night:
- An excuse to make squash soup, turn on candles and stay at home on the couch eating candy.
- Bumblebee babies, ladybugs, lions, pumpkins and the pudgy little boy who waddled up in a fireman’s uniform.
- Our neighbor’s front yard Haunted House, which is straight out of this week’s episode of Modern Family. Love that show.
- The idea that for one night, people are nice enough to open up their homes and hand out gifts to strangers.
If I could post a sign on my door right now, it might say:
- Please say, “Trick-or-Treat” followed by, “Thank you!”
- If it’s after 9pm, your two year old should be home in bed, not knocking on my door.
- A naughty nurse costume is never appropriate, especially if you’re 14.
- Yes my lights are out. Yes I ran out of candy two hours ago. Yes I can hear you when you say to your child, “Pee on their front door.”
What were your favorite costumes tonight?