No better way to spend a day off: Apple Hill with Jonathan. Crisp air. Late breakfast (Cheese blintz with ollaliberries!) and lots and lots of apples. And wine tasting.
No better sign of fall: squash soup. My mom’s recipe is below for all to enjoy. I promise, it doesn’t get any better than this:
1 large squash (butternut or acorn are delicious)
1 1/2 oz butter + 3 tbsp for croutons
4 c chicken stock (NOT chicken broth)
1/2 c cream
Freshly ground pepper
Garnish: nutmeg, parsley, croutons (recipe below requires 4 slices of bread) Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400. Bake squash in shallow baking pan about 1hr. Cut lengthwise and cool to room temp.
- Cook chopped onion in butter over low heat, partially covered until soft and stirring often (about 15 min)
- Meanwhile, remove seeds from squash and scoop out pulp. Puree.
- Add onions to puree
- Cook puree and chicken stock about 10 min until soft. Add the cream and seasonings to taste.
- Melt 3 tbsp butter. Mix in chopped bread and freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- Cook at 400 for 10 minutes, flipping after 5
- Serve soup with croutons, parsley, Parmesan cheese and nutmeg. Sooooooo good!!!