Books: I finished What Alice Forgot in April (loved it!) and read Glitter & Glue in May, which was a tad slow in the beginning but I love the author and some of her observations on mom/daughter relationships. For an encouraging, quick book you should try My Practices of Mothering by Sarah Bessey.
Food: I have 13 Pinterest boards dedicated to food, and yet, I didn’t really try any new recipes this month. I’ve been all about simplicity and can’t really tell you what we’ve eaten. Tell me a recipe I need to make in June.
Podcast: You must listen to This American Life’s Birds & Bees episode which covers talking to kids and teens about sex, racism and death. I gotta say, this one left me with a lot to think about.
TV/Movies: I gave up on Scandal this month because it got too dramatic and far fetched for my taste. (That’s weird…a drama becoming too dramatic…) Also, my mom and I took Anna to the movies for the first time to see Cinderella, which was really cute. I definitely liked it more than Anna did.
Wearing: My “new” polka dot romper and blazer, both of which I “won” at the MOPS clothing swap.
A few of my favorite purchases in May:
- Colored/labeled packing tape…because we’re moving and you bet I did.
- Camelbak water bottles for the kids…because where do they all go and why do they always break?
- Tankinis…because I feel awkward when I’m in a bikini at the YMCA pool with grabby Owen on my hip
- A new Stitch Fix shirt
Things I loved in May:
- I finally followed this tutorial and made engineering prints for our living room. So easy! So cheap! So cute!
- Celebrating my mom’s graduation from her Master’s program with a big surprise party
- Traveling (SOLO!) to Sacramento for two nights. I stayed with Tammy and was able to see a few friends. Also, Bacon + Butter.
What I love on the web:
If you need a good cry, read this post about friendship and cancer. But really, I warned you.
If you’re a mom juggling too many things, read this post by my friend Anna. It’s one of the best motherhood essays I’ve read in a long time.
My feelings about the word BRAVE are very complicated, and this essay sums them up.
The doll I really want to buy Anna.
A post about teaching our kids to say what they mean, especially when it comes to their bodies.
A beautiful essay on faith.
And finally, this essay by two sisters about their opposite views on gay marriage. So good.
- My grandpa’s 90th birthday party on Catalina Island
- My dad’s 60th birthday party the following weekend
- No school! No plans! Beach days! Culdesac happy hours! Summer!