Can you believe the year is over? We’re celebrating at home tonight and I’m looking forward to a hike and yoga tomorrow to start 2015 on the right note.
Every year (except last year!) I put together a list of some of my favorite things. Without further adieu, here they are! I wish you a safe and happy end to 2014 with hopeful wishes for all the next one brings.
Best of 2014 Reads
- The Husband’s Secret
- The Nesting Place: It Doesn’t Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful
- The Invention of Wings: A Novel
Best of 2014 Music (you can listen to most of these on my Spotify playlist.)
- California- U2
- Budapest- George Ezra
- I Dream of You- JJ Heller
- A Life That’s Good- Nashville Cast, Lennon & Maisy
- Greater- Mercy Me
- Broken Hallelujah- The Afters
- Oceans- Hillsong United
- Shake It Off – Taylor Swift
- Uptown Funk – Mark Ronson, Bruno Mars
- All About That Bass- Meghan Trainor
Best of 2014 Movies/TV (please, can I note, I barely even saw any movies this year!)
- Gone Girl
- Twenty Feet From Stardom
- About Time (2013, but whatever.)
- If there were a podcast honor, it would go to Serial, of course. Maybe next year I’ll add a Favorite Podcasts award
Best Websites/Blogs of 2014
- Cup of Jo
- Modern Mrs. Darcy
- House *Tweaking
- Shauna Niequist
- Coffee + Crumbs
- And of course, my real life friends Michelle, Becca, Ashlee, Bronwyn, Aleah and Jamie
- Copycat Chick-fil-A sauce (Made this as a dipping sauce for our Christmas Eve fondue. Tastes like the real thing.)
- Honey, broccoli and pasta salad (Made this for my mom’s birthday and even the men liked it!)
- Lentils with mozzarella (Made this about a million times over the last year. Healthy and yummy.)
- Baked egg avocados (Made this because I have 1,000 avocados in my backyard. Enough said.)
- Apple nachos (Made this because football season requires food. Lots of food.)
Surprising things that worked for me in 2014
- We subscribed to the Sunday paper. Even though it often takes me until Tuesday to read it, I still get excited when I see it on our driveway each week. I think it helps me to slow down a little bit.
- I started charging my phone in the bathroom at night. I hated that my phone was the last thing I touched at night, and the first thing I looked at in the morning. Got myself an old school alarm clock, and BAM, some mornings I don’t get on the dumb device until 9:00am. (Note: I still have a long, long way to go with my phone habits.)
- We got a YMCA membership. This has been key to my health and sanity in 2014. I always thought a gym membership wouldn’t be worth the cost but let me assure you…it is. I took Pilates classes over the summer and now I run on the treadmill a few days a week while the kids play at Kids’ Club. I dropped a few of the pesky baby pounds that were still bothering me, and I feel strong again.
- I started growing out my hair and re-discovered my natural waves. The result? I’m blowdrying MUCH much less, and using my straight iron just a few days a week. You guys, my primping time has been cut in half! Santa Barbara has me embracing that natural sea waves look, and I love it.
Memorable Moments of 2014
- Fancy Italian dinner in Tahoe with Zach, Dana and Jonathan after a windy ski day at Heavenly. I needed that night away, desperately.
- Seahawks Superbowl Party, while potty training Anna. That was funny.
- Two life changing phone calls from Jonathan, at work, when my stomach dropped and my heart leapt, and I knew we were moving.
- My last girls’ bible study in Sacramento
- The “I’ll have two desserts” night on my college girls’ Carnival Cruise weekend
- Time alone in a Salt Lake City hospital room with my Grandpa Frank, a few days before he passed away. He told me to write, and I will.
- Giving my testimony at Goleta MOPS
- Stormy weekday jacuzzi and pool play in the Outer Banks with Jonathan’s family
- The look on Anna’s face when she saw her birthday bounce house
- Celebrating Owen’s first birthday at the beach with family
- Anna’s first day of preschool
- Katie’s wedding (and finally getting to participate in a flash mob)
- Post chapel lunch during Homecoming weekend– 10 year reunion!
- Thai food and Lincoln Memorial night in Washington DC
- Watching Anna sing during her preschool and church Christmas performances
I’d love to hear some of your favorites in 2014. Write your own post and link to it in the comment section, or, simply leave a few thoughts. Happy New Year!