Today’s post is the 7th annual “Best of” list. (See the whole archive by clicking here.) As has been the case in years past, this list includes some of my favorite books, movies, TV shows, music and websites from 2012, along with some of my favorite memories. And, to clarify, these items didn’t necessarily debut to the world in 2012, they’re just what I discovered or enjoyed over the past year.
It’d be really fun if you left a few favorites of your own so that all of us can discover new books, music, movies, etc. in 2013!
Best of 2012 Reads
- The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain
- Young House Love: 243 Ways to Paint, Craft, Update and Show Your Home Some Love by Sherry and John Petersik
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
- Silence and Other Surprising Invitations of Advent by Enuma Okoro
- Waiting for Birdy: A Year of Frantic Tedium, Neurotic Angst and the Wild Magic of Growing a Family by Catherine Newman
- E-book: The No-Brainer Wardrobe by Hayley Morgan and WorkShift by Anne Bogel
- The book of Ruth and Ephesians (with my bible study girls!)
Best of 2012 Music (thanks to Spotify, I discovered lots of new music this year!)
- Brokeness Aside- All Sons and Daughters
- Blow Away album- Carrie Underwood
- Born and Raised Album- John Mayer
- True Believers- Darius Rucker
- Stronger- Kelly Clarkson
- Beautiful Things- Gungor
- Family- Matt Wertz
- Feel Again- One Republic
- Nashville soundtrack
- Little Sack of Sugar- Elizabeth Mitchell
Best of 2012 Movies/TV (please, can I note, I barely even saw any movies this year!)
- The Vow (I know, I KNOW.)
- Parenthood (We’re only on season two, and yes, I’m aware of the Kristina cancer plotline this season and it sounds intense.)
- Summer Olympics!
Best Websites/Blogs of 2012 (and let me admit: I spend way more time online than watching TV or movies)
- Modern Mrs. Darcy
- Rage Against the Minivan
- Where My Heart Resides
- Words of Williams
- Sarah Bessey
- Chronicles of Claire
- Holiday Ham Sandwiches (I don’t even like ham, but these are to-die-for. A staple when we visit my parents!)
- Allison’s beet salad (A secret recipe I’m too lazy to type out. E-mail me!)
- Anna’s pumpkin spiced oatmeal
- Warm butternut squash and chickpea salad
- Mac and Cheese with roasted chicken, goat cheese and rosemerry
- Curried chicken apple salad
Things I’m proud to have accomplished in 2012
- With God’s miraculous provisions, I stayed sane through Jonathan’s cancer treatment, sought counseling when I needed it, and grew so much in my faith. To Him be the Glory!
- With the help of Sacramento’s Social Media Club, I planned a bone marrow registry drive in March.
- I read a ton this year, and couldn’t be happier about it. It was a personal goal to read at least one book a month this year, and I did.
- I nursed a baby nine long months. She finished weaning on Jonathan’s last day of chemo. Talk about mixed emotions. I felt like we finished two big journeys on the same day!
- After Jonathan’s treatment ended, I finally made a push on my writing. I applied for the Redbud Writer’s Guild (and have LOVED the community), published three posts for Christianity Today’s Her.meneutics blog, took a live interview on Moody Radio, went on a solo writing retreat and finished the first draft of my book proposal last week. I’ve loved the chance to be creative again between so many mundane mommy tasks.
- Tried, and completed, our first juice cleanse. I felt fantastic afterwards. It may need to become a yearly tradition.
- Made-over our front porch and plugged away on house projects, making our home feel like OURS.
Best Moments of 2012
- Walking the beach last January with the Kiely’s and Melvin’s; eating fish tacos and being lazy together.
- Dinner with 10 girlfriends on my 30th birthday at The Porch.
- Laying in our backyard watching the clouds on that February day he entered remission.
- Hung out in Colorado for a weekend with my college girlfriends. I loved our time making a mobile for baby Shai and seeing Amy’s home.
- Holding up signs for Jonathan’s end-of-chemo celebration.
- Walking the Monterey Bay Aquarium with my sweetheart on our first alone trip after baby. Everyone says travel after a baby can be difficult. I’m so, so glad we made our “cancermoon” a priority.
- When, on Anna’s 1st birthday, she decided she liked In-N-Out fries over chocolate cake.
- Becoming an aunt (finally!) to Isaiah Brown.
- Swim lessons and summer visits to the park with Anna.
- Sunset dinners in Hawaii to celebrate my mom’s 60th birthday. Watching Anna sit in the wet sand and delight in the waves.
- Campfires at Fallen Leaf Lake with all our Westmont friends over Labor Day weekend
- The Newport Beach Boat parade
Stuff to Do in 2013
- Be a present, patient and loving mom and wife.
- Grow a baby and have a baby!
- Read a lot and write a lot. (My BIGGEST goal is to get an agent and publish my book.)
- Go through Jesus Today devotional by Sarah Young; continue to dig into the word with my bible study girls.
- Mentor someone younger than me. (Just got connected with someone special at church. I’m excited about this!)
- Cheer Jonathan on during his April marathon.
- Maybe, maybe, maybe re-do our dying front and back lawns. They need a makeover!
I’d love to hear some of your favorites in 2012, something you’re proud you accomplished, and maybe a few things you’re looking forward to in 2013. Write your own post and link to it in the comment section, or, simply leave a few thoughts. Happy New Year!