Today’s post is my six annual “Best of” list. As has been the case in years past, this list includes some of the books, movies, TV shows, music and websites I’ve come to enjoy in 2011 along with some of my favorite memories. I also added a Trader Joe’s section this year because I always like finding out about what others buy at Trader Joe’s.
It’d be really fun if you left a few favorites of your own so that all of us can discover new books, music, movies, etc in 2012.
Best of 2011 Reads
- The Help
- The Wednesday Sisters
- Same Kind of Different as Me
- The Vaccine Book, Secrets of the Baby Whisperer and Babywise (we had a baby this year, okay?)
Best of 2011 Music
- Hurts Like Heaven- Coldplay
- Someone Like You- Adele
- Moves Like Jagger- Maroon 5
- Carry Me- Audrey Assad
- How He Loves- David Crowder Band
- What Do I Know of Holy- Addison Road
Best of 2011 Movies/TV
- The Help
- Mission Impossible 4
- New Girl
- Up All Night
- Modern Family
Best Websites/Blogs of 2011
Best New Recipes
- Chocolate persimmon muffins
- Oreo brownies I made these with peppermint jo-jos and a boxed brownie mix. Cheater? YES!
- Veggie Laksa soup
- Quinoa stuffing with sweet potatoes and cranberries
Best Trader Joe’s Staples- the stuff we live off; the stuff we love
- Frozen brown rice
- Stuffed bell peppers
- Pomegranate Green Tea
- Raisin Bran and Honey Nut O’s
- Chocolate lava cakes
- Pesto tortellini bowls
- Multigrain baking and pancake mix
- Jalapeno hummus with organic blue corn tortilla chips
Best Moments of 2011
- Flea market shopping with Allison during my trip to SF in January
- Finishing the last ski run at Deer Valley, without injury, on my 29th birthday
- Flying out to the USS Makin Island
- The first night I fell asleep feeling Anna kick around in my tummy
- Unpacking our new kitchen
- Cutting the pink cake
- Our girl’s coffee date in the Santa Cruz mountains before Lori’s wedding
- Dinner overlooking the San Diego harbor with Jonathan
- Our drive to the hospital
- Our drive home from the hospital
- Everything that happened between the drive to and from the hospital
- The first time she smiled at me; the first time she giggled
Stuff to Do in 2012
- Help Jonathan beat the you know what out of cancer. This is going to be the most important and time consuming task of 2012. Bring it on.
- Turn 30. Look hot doing it. Don’t look back.
- Rub Amy’s pregnant belly in Colorado.
- See Coldplay in concert. Must find floor seats. Are you going?
- Chase Anna around the house. Buy her a swing for the backyard. Chase her around the backyard. Teach her to swim. Watch her turn 1.
- Celebrate beating cancer/my mom’s 60th by going to Hawaii with my whole family. (Sorry Mom. I just told everyone you’re turning 60.)
- Write a book. Yup. I’m doing it…at least the first draft.
- Maybe, just maybe, run a big 26.2 mile race and raise some money for Lymphoma research. I’m thinking about it. Should I do it? I suppose it depends on how exhausted we are by early summer when I’d need to start training. Eeek!